Friday, September 28, 2012

Debra Leaves the Zoo

I wish I could have taken a picture of you looking at the insects and the zebras, Debra. Now those precious moments are gone forever. Hopefully you remember them as you recount them to your friends and family, who will hang on to your every word as if you were a solo violinist on stage. Do you know that Debra + Zoo = Zebra? This is why I am glad that I had zebras, Debra. I will spend the rest of my life atoning for the fact that I do not have peacocks. Or it is possible I may not, since I know you will forgive me. You are so kind, Debra.
We knew this moment was coming. I paused to catch my breath, then braced myself as she walked through the gates. These were the large, elephantine gates that marked the entrance to my zoo. This is the one zoo that would haunt my dreams until the end of days, and it is all thanks to you, Debra. Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience with me. Do you know how it ended, Debra? You put one foot in front of the other, and you kept walking forward until you stopped and vanished into the parking lot.
No.

No comments:

Post a Comment