Friday, September 28, 2012

Debra Drinks a Bottle of Water

Oh, Debra. You are so close to the zoo entrance, so close to leaving forever. Yet you have continued to honor me and the rest of the guests with your presence. That little boy, for example, is going to paint a mural over the side of his house because he has been so inspired by the joy he felt sitting next to you. Even though your presence in my realm is transient, its effects are felt like a cooling breeze on the skin after a long workout. When I'm through, Debra, the entire world will feel it too.
Do you enjoy the water, Debra? I made that water stand just for you. I researched and placed and built the water stand just for your benefit, whether I knew it or not. You have always been there and the water, the fluid that sustains all life, has also always been there. Do you believe in fate, Debra? I knew a creature such as you, whose body is the temple that all people believe their bodies to be, would not see fit to litter it with carbonation and sugar. Either that, or she is so sweet and bubbly that the water turns to soda on her tongue. You are such a smart woman, Debra.
A trash can and a recycling bin stand right next to each other. Which one will she choose for her recyclable item? If I know Debra, that choice has been made long ago.
You are such a caring person, Debra. I know you care for the earth and for its creatures, but you will never care for me the same way. I am undeserving of your piercingly beautiful gaze. At once your eyes are strict and forgiving, stubborn and empathetic. What does the E stand for, Debra? What is your middle name? I could have given you one, but I refuse to alter perfection, Debra. (It would have been Everything because you are everything to me.)
I tried to dig the water bottle that her lips had touched out of the recycling bin, but the game wouldn't let me. Curse you, limits of game mechanics! Curse you, cruel heavens!

No comments:

Post a Comment